Old 09-11-2007, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default I ate a beet

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Just harvested half of my beet crop. Which amounts to two beets.

I ate one. With greens.

I'm amazed at how richly green and waxy looking the greens are on these
plants. They were the most robust looking plants in the garden.

And it's not how well I cooked it, but that I had one to cook at all.

No jpeg? :-)

No, I"ll do it analog. Ok, it was THIS big. See my hands? And it was
one of those golden ones, so the meat was about the color of my teeth.

And the greens were....green. And waxy. They were THIS waxy. See my ears?

What's a good recipe for beet(s) and greens. I just fried some onions,
then sauted the greens for a little while, with some water, and nuked
the beet sliced. Everything was just slightly bitter, but could have
been from not cooking long enough.

I just steam beet greens and serve them with lemon butter.
The beet is cooked and served separately, pressure cooked, peeled,
sliced and served as is with lemon pepper and salted to the individual
taste. I don't generally cook with salt. The lemon pepper is the salt
free variety.

Man, I can't wait until I get some land. Hard to change the world on my
10x12 concrete patio.

Good job! :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein