Old 09-11-2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Drew Lawson Drew Lawson is offline

Default Paying for the moderation software for RPM

In article
Galen Hekhuis writes:

I realize moderation has been going on for some time, and that the
ideal solution would be to do the whole thing without paying a cent.
There are few programs out there that are suitable for a bunch of
folks moderating a newsgroup. The fact that there are several
moderators precludes using a system set up for only one. ISP
constraints and "lag time," or the time between when a post is made
and when in actually appears after moderation tend to work against any
email type scheme.

Um, just so you know, moderated Usenet groups are entirely based
on an "email type scheme." New posts are diverted to the standard
moderation email address for the group.

These and some other constraints have pretty much
forced us to go with a web-based program for moderation. That
requires a "front end" to the program which can deal with most of the
spam and other stuff that a moderated group is subject to,

I will note, since you are on the threshold of paying for this
again, that your selected software also has a strong tendency toward
false positives with no helpful messages. I have yet to get a post
through to the moderation queue. (Unless this one happens to work.
I keep trying... Nope. Have to hotwire it yet again.)

--
Drew Lawson And I know there's more to the story
I know I need to see more