Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Not@home Not@home is offline

Default Google vs. Newsgroups

Sheldon wrote:
On Nov 8, 2:00?pm, "Not@home" wrote:
I agree that one should look in the newsgroup before posting, but the
unfortunate fact is that usenet is falling into disuse, as most people
find a web search a more efficient way of finding information.

Nonsense.

Searching this Newsgroup for compost results in many relevant
threads that have been discussed here, many recently. SteveB has
proven that he is an extremely otiose obnoxious small minded infantile
troll.

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...=Search+Groups

The nonsense is that you are advocating doing a web based search using
google, when you apparently think you are doing a usenet search. In
other words, if google didn't copy the usenet posts into their website,
you wouldn't find them. Usenet and the web were, and are, separate
entities, and you can still use usenet exclusively using a reader,
rather than a web browser. I don't use internet explorer enough to be
certain, but I believe is does not contain a news reader, so it will
only find web based information. If the google company chooses to not
copy some newsgroups, your search will never find them.

Unfortunately, apparently using newsgroups is not practiced by many
people any more, so many browsers now are published without a reader
component, and many ISPs are no longer carrying usenet. I started years
ago with the boards, and usenet seemed a natural progression; but none
of my three kids spends any time on usenet. I guess thats progress.

I agree with your evaluation of the OP; he is here (but not, thank
goodness, in recent days) only to function as a troll. When I posted a
non-flattering response to him, he of course responded with what he
thought was a witty riposte. He was half-right.

When I posted in the same thread later, he accused me of morphing to
evade the filter he had set. The problem was I had not morphed and was
using the same identifying data, so apparently he cannot even set a
filter without assistance.