Old 09-11-2007, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
HettieŽ HettieŽ is offline

Default Google vs. Newsgroups

Not@home wrote:
I don't use internet explorer enough to be
certain, but I believe is does not contain a news reader, so it will
only find web based information. If the google company chooses to not
copy some newsgroups, your search will never find them.

IE6 had a newsreader, worked fine, you could attach files to binary
groups, and I was using it until the upgrade to IE7 was rekeased which
messed them all up. You could get to them, but in a convoluted way,
thru a url, and it messed it all up to the point that even after I
uninstaled it and went back to IE6, they were still ruined in that I got
headers in both the header pane and message pane, no messages, lost
patience and quit trying to troubleshoot that.

So I started using Netscape as my newsreader again, I liked an older
version of that better the way you could flag messages and threads,
didn't like the way OE did it, but it would crash and have probs from
time to time. The version of Netscape I am using works well enough for
my needs. I have since re-upgraded to IE7 but just use it for web
browsing. I was disappointed they did that.

So many netizens don't seem to even know usenet exists or how to access
and use it, assuming their ISP still carries the ng's. Fortunately,
Earthlink still does and has for a long time.

There are other several other ways to subscribe to ng's and access
usenet, but I've never tried them.