Old 09-11-2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
HettieŽ HettieŽ is offline

Default Have you Ever Seen?

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
Ok, I was just looking around the net and ran across some bugs.

So it got me thinking about something I've seen only once in my life and
I was wondering if anyone else had seen anything like it.

Now, for the oddball description.

I can not recall the color but I think it was green/red or something.

It was the size of a humming bird

It hovered like a humming bird

The odd thing was that it had curled antennas and a proboscis.

I'd only seen one once in my life, was with my father at the time who
said it may be a lady bird. No clue, I've googled that a few times and
nothing useful comes up.

So I was wondering if anyone's seen anything like this? It was very odd
and I wish I knew what it was.

I saw both the moth and birds this summer. It was thrilling because I
hadn't seen either since I was very young. The moth was fast and didn't
stick around so I could watch it. I just bought a feeder for next year,
don't know if the moths will use that or not but hope the hummingbirds
will. The hummingbirds came in real close to three of us standing there
talking, maybe 3' or so. It was my annual salvia sangria they liked,
the red spikey things that stuck out.