Old 09-11-2007, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default BTU's per dollar

I often wonder about the use of steam to heat a g/h. I saw an old g/h a
few years ago
that had these large pipes going around under the benches. Nobody could tell
me how
they worked & the greenhouse was not in operation. (empty)
Of course one still has to have energy to make the hot water? Did they
not use
hot water pipes in the old days back in England?
Al, I think the energy costs are going to really escalate because there
are more & more
people using it! Water will be next.
Cheers Wendy

"alpickrel" wrote in message
ups.com...
Excuse me. As always I must immediately correct myself: There are
3412 BTU's per kilowatt hour.

1 BTU per kilowatt = 1.05505585 seconds.

The problem with all these
words is that they are measuring something different.

On Nov 7, 7:57 pm, alpickrel wrote:

There are 3412 BTU's of heat per kilowatt. A radiant heater without
fans is pretty much 100% efficient in converting electricity to heat.