Old 09-11-2007, 06:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
jthread jthread is offline

Default Do you compost

"hollenback" wrote in message
The chemical found in Seattle and Spokane was Clopyralid from lawn weed
killer. At that time it was a favorite chemical for lawn care companies
and was even in some weed and feeds.
Picloram has also been found in compost that used straw where the field
had been sprayed with Tordon but that only showed up in towns next to
large farms.
The contaminated compost could be used on lawns but if it was put in a
garden it would be three years before a tomato plant would live in the
soil. (If you wanted to grow tomatoes on ground that has chemicals in it.)

Bill

Thanks,

I did a Google on it and found an article about finding Clopyralid in
compost in the Seattle area, but not specifically in Seattle's Public
Services compost. I emailed both the Austin TX and Seattle's Utility
departments and asked basically: How are we protected from this type of
contamination? I'll post the answers in a new header.

Jim
--
"I like this opera crowd. It makes me feel tough".