Old 09-11-2007, 08:24 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_9_] Jonno[_9_] is offline

Default bee attractant for your garden

I would have thought that any lavender plant would be attractive to
bees. I certainly dont have any problems attracting them in Melbourne.
Is it that different with that particular lavender plant?

John Savage wrote:
From time to time the question is asked: "How to attract bees to the
garden?"

On a recent trip through some drought-ravaged towns I was amazed to
see the amount of bee activity on one particular type of lavender
flower. Wherever I saw this lavender, whether growing in parched street
beds or well-tended home gardens, the flower heads were always
enveloped in a cloud of bustling honey bees.

It's an Italian lavender with flower heads that have the appearance of
a smallish purple-coloured She-Oak cone (if such existed!) but topped
with an impressive three-bladed purple helicopter rotor! I have seen
this lavender labelled "Avonview" but doubt that anyone in Italy would
be likely know it by that name. :-)

Honey produced from lavender flowers would have to be delicious,
wouldn't it?