Old 09-11-2007, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Accelerate the compost

In message
K wrote:

Campa-Man writes

No, no, it's definitely a man thing! (a) they have the equipment and (b)
they have different hormones. I'm told that Copella fruit juice bottles
are
quite convenient because they have a large enough opening.

Best bottles are.... Fabric Conditioner ones, lovely large opening :-0

And built-in odour control, according to a wild-camping friend of mine

Most of this thread went past before I picked up on it. I have often
been irritated by the fact that most of the material you gather is
gathered in the autumn and winter is cold when there will be no
decomposition. What can be done about that?

1) Very thick insulation and a low wattage electric heater on the end
of a spear which is poked into the compost.

2) Very thick insulation, as above, but heat supplied from a solar
collector, and the heat brought down by a heat pipe.

Both of these are possible, but what are the economics?

It might not be too hard even if you pay out of your own pocket. If a
proper price was paid for collection, transport and final disposal I
think it should be very economic.

Michael Bell