Old 10-11-2007, 05:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Default Mosquito repellant plant?

G'day John

Thanks for your reply. Actually I have planted some Rhubarb seeds,
mainly because I just looooove Rhubarb but didn't think of it as a home
for frogs. Only this morning while it was raining I was sitting under
the pergola 'talking' to the frogs. Yeah, I'm crazy I know!! But frogs
are lovely people!! LOL

Until recently I had about 6-7 Blue Tongues in the backyard but the
neighbourhood cats put an end to them, although I did see 'one' a week
or two ago. They do a great job on the snails, leaving only the shell
(intact). Lots of little bronze geckos too.

The tiles/furniture/pergola/bay window wall/etc are all painted
cream...hopefully that is close enough to white?

The most effective repellent I've found is high dose Vitamin B, trouble
was that I stopped it when back home (from the Top End) thinking that
RRV etc was only in the top half of the country. Discovered the mistake
too late!! But I take Vitamin B 'every' day now, and will until the day
I die!! LOL

Just hope the frogs breed up quickly, they are so cute! I've just built
a fishpond (with fish to keep mossie larvae under control) In the
beginning it was for a baby water dragon that lived in the
garden.....the cat got that too! Now, I'm looking for an adult water
dragon that somebody wants removed from their garden as I feel the @#$%^
cat would meet it's match!

Thanks for the info because I didn't think about frogs in the rhubarb.
Bronwyn ;-)

John Savage wrote:
HC writes:

I've just done a makeover of the outdoor area at the back of my house
(got sick of waiting for Jamie Durie to arrive so had to do it myself)
and now I'm spending more time sitting out there and with the recent
rain am being harrassed by mossies.

Have you thought of planting garden species that would encourage frogs
to take up residence? Beds of rhubarb are favourite hideouts for cute
little frogs, I've noticed. Also hyperactive garden lizards busy
themselves hunting down flying insects that are sufficiently incautious
as to alight within reach, too.

The reality is that no plant is going to chase away any but the most
timid of mossies, alas. Bright white garden furniture (gazebo, timber
bench, cobblestones/bed borders, lamp stands, etc.) might be more
repulsive to your mozzies than any plant, at least during daytime.
RRF is something one would be well advised to avoid.

There is a mozzie repellent I've seen advertised in (cough) The Readers
Digest. If you find it effective add your name in their testimonials,
http://bushman-repellent.com