Old 10-11-2007, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes[_2_] Alan Holmes[_2_] is offline

Default Stop the killing of grey squirrels

"echinosum" wrote in message

UkJay;758711 Wrote:
I love grey squirrels, even if they do drive me mad

My parents are driven mad by them eating all the fruit they grow. They
used to be able to grow msny apples, plums, strawberries, etc, etc, in
their large garden but with the increase in squirrel numbers it is just
a waste of time. They strip every fruit and every berry. Even attempts
to net fruit trees, or build chickenwire cages around the berry bushes
have been a waste of time, they are always clever enough to get in.

We have no compunction about keeping rats and pigeons off our property,
by destructive means where appropriate, why not grey squirrels? Granity
says squirrel is tasty, I don't know, but woodpigeon is certainly very
tasty.

Stuff deleted:-

There really is no answer to this one. I love seeing the introduced
parakeets we now have in much of the south-east, although they haven't
got to our area yet. Maybe we'll be seeing them as a nuisance in a few
more decades.

The parakeets here are a bloody nuisance, they destroy my apples and make a
hell of a lot of noise, as well as damaging my vegetables, so if anyone
knows how to kill the damned things please let me know!

--
echinosum