Old 11-11-2007, 10:58 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default bee attractant for your garden

In article ,
John Savage wrote:

From time to time the question is asked: "How to attract bees to the
garden?"

On a recent trip through some drought-ravaged towns I was amazed to
see the amount of bee activity on one particular type of lavender
flower. Wherever I saw this lavender, whether growing in parched street
beds or well-tended home gardens, the flower heads were always
enveloped in a cloud of bustling honey bees.

I've heard that bees like blue flowers, so things like borage and buddleias
are good, along with rosemary and lavenders of course. But the most bees I've
seen per square cm were on some thyme flowers at Mount Tomah Botanical Gardens
-- you couldn't actually see the thyme!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/