Old 11-11-2007, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
HettieŽ HettieŽ is offline

Default William & Others, ?

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from HettieŽ contains these words:

http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/tub...rs_thistle.asp

Hi hettie, the above looks much like my thistle feeder. Plus, from
your link I found out what William meant by the one that makes them
hang upside down ; and that American goldfinch (carduelis tristis) is
not the same bird as a British goldfinch (carduelis carduelis), yours
have more gold and ours have a red cap like this

www.birdfood.co.uk/.../goldfinch_01.jpg

Janet (Scotland)

Hi Janet, well at least we both have finches, and that is a good thing.

Now I see at my bestnest link a lot are exactly the same as at the link
William supplied me. I see the upsidedown one, too. I don't mind
upsidedown, but don't want one where that is the only position they can
feed, fun at times to watch, but looks unnatural. I guess you can't
have it both ways.

Maybe the one I ordered (looks like fake birch and I have tons of birch
I've collected, too many things lined up to try to make one), will work.
I can always set it up and buy another one later if that one doesn't
attract any.

Your goldfinch link comes up with a not found. It's nice to have
someone from Scotland around here, doubt I'll ever get to see the place,
but have much of it in my ancestry. I've seen many photos in nice books
about Scotland, but it is hard to get a feel for the place. Some of it
looks so rugged and remote, but you have those beautiful, long-haired
cows which I suppose nobody breeds much. And probably a lot of other
unusual things and natural beauty. There must be good gardening areas, too.