Old 11-11-2007, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Claytton. Mike Claytton. is offline

Default Can I draw your attention to

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Mike Claytton" wrote in
message ...

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:14:39 GMT, "Alan Jones"
wrote:

"Paul Narramore" wrote in
message ...

Hello
This is my first post here but already I'm a bit puzzled. The note at
the top of the page states the post I'm about to reply to will be
quoted below. Why? Other message boards I write on simply lists the
posts as it is always obvious what the writer is referring to.
[...]

This isn't a message board, of course; newsgroups may have different
protocols from what you are accustomed to. When you type your reply, you
can
always snip any irrelevant parts of the quoted material, as I have just
done.

Actually it isn't "always obvious what the writer is referring to",
since
the newsgroup messages are listed in a random order. Even if you are
able to
set your newsreader to show messages by subject, your reply post may
refer
to a previous message a long way down the stack, and threads often
wander a
long way from the initial point. It's easier for readers if the context
is
immediately apparent and doesn't need to be hunted down.

By default I see messages, threaded by subject and in chronological
order.

*So ****ing what!*

Oh dear, another:-

!PLONK!