Old 12-11-2007, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Shredder for prunings and leaves

On 12/11/07 13:40, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article om,
says...
I see there's been a bit of correspondence on this in the past, but
I'm not sure which way to turn.

I have a fair few prunings from bushes to get rid of and the Bosch
2200HP looks ideal for this. However I also have to deal with what
starts out as something like 4 cubic metres of oak leaves every year.
I turn these into leaf mould in bulk builder's sacks, but it takes
about three years to complete the job, and space is limited. I started
off with a wire mesh bin but the leaves on the outside were too dry
and didn't decompose.

I'd hoped to get a shredder that would take leaves and by mincing them
up speed up the composting process. My ideal would be to get it down
to one year like regular compost, but even 2 years would be helpful.

Is there something to do both jobs or are two machines necessary? I've
not tried this but I suspect it wouldn't be very practical to run my
lawn mower over the leaves - not that quantity anyway.

Well I use my lawn mower for leaves, its going to be quicker than picking
them up then putting through a shredder, plus if they are on grass then
the combo of leaves and grass rots a lot quicker :~)

Ray does the same with the tractor mower, though he has to choose a day when
the lawn hasn't decided to give an imitation of a bog-garden!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk