Old 12-11-2007, 05:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,hawaii.gardening,rec.gardens
Sammy bin Snoozin Sammy bin Snoozin is offline

Default Grooves in trunk of palm tree

PS -- I don't like palm trees as they are non-native to Calif, produce
no shade or fruit and attract lovely rats in the top. I think I have
solved the problem....

http://www.buytikitorches.com/images/atp-fb4_1.jpg

"Sammy bin Snoozin" wrote in message
newse0_i.3076$VB6.163@trnddc06...

"Buderschnookie" wrote in message

"Sammy bin Snoozin" wrote in

message

I printed out these photos and took to the local nursery. They

gave
their stock answer.... they had no idea what it was but "you

should
try this fertilizer..."

Well- you can tell by the frizzled fronds that the tree is

malnourished- is
it regularly fed at all? Minerals too?
And add the base of the trunk to the equation and it spells

trouble
IMO.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Thanks, it gets the same fertilizer as the rest of the yard/trees -
10-10-10 spring and fall -- or whatever is on the bag. All the

other
trees in the yard - fruit, pines - are doing great. But as you can
tell I know nothing about palm trees. Interestingly I was talking

the next door neighbor about this one. He told me it has looked

that
way 15 years ago before I was there.

Will post again when I find out something for the benefit of other
folks.

PS - I'm surprised that there is not a website somewhere with photos
of palm conditions. This must be a common question for the rest of
the suckers out there who have these *useless* non-native trees.

Sam