Old 12-11-2007, 07:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst[_2_] Chas Hurst[_2_] is offline

Default Composting roadkill

"Ryan P." wrote in message
jthread wrote:
"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
news
Today's news reports several NY counties are putting roadkill deer in
their compost piles. Seems very strange to me.

http://cwmi.css.cornell.edu/roadkillfs.pdf

More than I ever wanted to know. Says they use the compost on the highway
right-of-way where there is low pet and human contact. How comforting!
Sounds like a lot of "low possiblity", "most of", and "unlikely"
situations. Maybe in the long run it is for the better as the landfill is
the alternative. I know I don't want it in my yard.

I'm confused about the "may contaminate water" concern. I can see how 50
dead bodies on top of each other might be a problem, but where do these
people think wild animals go when they die?

Scavengers take care of dead animals in the wild. What did you think?