Old 12-11-2007, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Don H3 Don H3 is offline

Default Walnut Tree

On Nov 10, 8:14 am, MrCass wrote:
Is it true if you cut down a large old tree in the garden, will it
affect the foundations of the house? Its about 35 feet away but its a
big old walnut tree

Thank you

MrCass

--
MrCass

I don't think so. If the foundation hasn't been damaged by the tree's
growth, it's non-growth is hardly going to be a problem. I grew up on
a farm w/ a largish black walnut about 20 feet from the garage/
workshop, and maybe 30-40 feet from the main house, and neither
building ever had any foundation damage over the 20 years before my
father died. However both were subsequently destroyed by other closer
trees and an incompetent "caretaker":
The garage by a peach tree only 2 inches in diameter (when I saw it
and killed it) that grew right against the uphill side thereby
allowing water to collect and freeze and refreeze every winter and
ultimately split the 8-12 inch solid concrete wall so it caved right
into the garage;
And the main house by a coffee-nut mahogany about 15 feet away which
made numerous hairline cracks in the mortar of extended-basement brick
foundation wall, causing the wall to spurt water and the entire
basement to flood to at least 3 inches every time it rained.