Old 12-11-2007, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
TomC TomC is offline

Default Fruit tree quickies

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote in article

"SteveB" wrote in message
We bought a property that has some fruit trees. A couple of peaches, a
nectarine, an apple, a couple of apricots, and a couple of almonds.

The trees were neglected. One that was near a spigot that was slightly
leaking had gotten regular watering from the seepage, and we got five

of
the
fruit boxes FULL of baseball sized peaches. The best I ever tasted.

We
got
just a few nectarines. Lots of good apricots, and a quart or two of
almonds.

The apple tree was full of apples one week, hundreds. The next week,

it
was
stripped except some at the top. No people tracks.

You got someone in there who picked them. There's sites like the

following:

http://www.urbanedibles.org

where people track neglected fruit trees. The former property owners

almost
certainly didn't pick the trees either, as a result some years back the
trees started
dropping fruit.

I will tell you this - think what you will of me - but I am very much a
supporter
of people going out there and picking fruit off trees on private property

if
there
is dropped fruit under the tree - with or without permission.

Particularly
in
urban areas.

Uh, I believe this is known as theft and if the value of the fruit is high
enough; it could be a felony.
Not to mention trespassing.......