Old 13-11-2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_14_] Reel McKoi[_14_] is offline

Default winter ready

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
We're having an abnormally warm fall here. The pumps are still running
although their appetites are falling off.

=======
Today was high 70s low 80s near beach. Pond is thriving and hyacinth and
others are still growing like gangbusters.

We had one light frost so far. I already brought some of the water lettuce
and hyacinth into the greenhouse for the winter. It didn't do as well as it
usually does this past summer. It could have been because of the unusually
hot summer. Days of sunny100F temperatures.

I had a heron (first one I've ever seen in 5 years here) show up a week
ago and drastically reduce my fish population. Have a plastic net over
it now. He came back next morning, but was apparently unhappy with the
net and left right away.
I know my pond is on his radar, so I'll be vigilant.

The net should discourage him/her. I still see herons around the lake when I
go to town, but none around the house and ponds here for a long time.

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.