Old 13-11-2007, 03:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Frank is offline

Default Composting roadkill

Chas Hurst wrote:
"Ryan P." wrote in message
jthread wrote:
"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
news Today's news reports several NY counties are putting roadkill deer in
their compost piles. Seems very strange to me.

http://cwmi.css.cornell.edu/roadkillfs.pdf

More than I ever wanted to know. Says they use the compost on the highway
right-of-way where there is low pet and human contact. How comforting!
Sounds like a lot of "low possiblity", "most of", and "unlikely"
situations. Maybe in the long run it is for the better as the landfill is
the alternative. I know I don't want it in my yard.

I'm confused about the "may contaminate water" concern. I can see how 50
dead bodies on top of each other might be a problem, but where do these
people think wild animals go when they die?

Scavengers take care of dead animals in the wild. What did you think?

Critters gotta eat too. Between blow flys, foxes, crows, vultures, etc.
dead animals in the wild do not last long. Bones left in compost would
be good source of phosphorous. I've seen deer carcasses in wild vanish
in a week with only bones behind. Left long enough, mice may get bones.