Old 13-11-2007, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson Sally Thompson is offline

Default The plastic bag free town

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 23:00:58 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 12/11/07 17:51, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:39:01 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 12/11/07 17:17, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:13:21 -0000, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.

I'd be more impressed if they were giving away reuseable bags.

You're still paying for your supermarket plastic bag, you just don't know
how much!

I'm not. I bought recyclable bags years ago. I don't recall the supermarket
that
made them available for a token amount getting any publicity.

Probably because they go on handing out plastic bags for which we all still
pay - even you. There *has* been publicity recently over Tesco's decision
to start charging 5p for plastic bags to 'force' people to re-use them.

Huh! Then why is it, I ask myself, when I (rarely) shop at Tesco's, and
stand there waving my own canvas bags and saying "I've got my own bags", do
they just automatically spread out the plastic ones in my way. I have been
known to have to say this three times before they take any notice. And why,
then, when I say, patiently, "you will re-use those, won't you?" when the
bags are then shoved under the counter, do they look at me blankly as though
I come from Mars?

It's all right, you don't need to answer that - just my morning rant for the
day :-)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation