Old 13-11-2007, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default The plastic bag free town

On 13/11/07 08:47, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 12/11/07 17:17, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:13:21 -0000, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.

I'd be more impressed if they were giving away reuseable bags.

You're still paying for your supermarket plastic bag, you just don't know
how much! People value what they pay for, so they'll use those bags
elsewhere, too.

So does anyone have first hand experiance of plastic free bags which can
be used for wet plants? (we would gladly change but have never found any)

We use some plastic bags but our main 'carriers' are shallow cardboard
trays. They arrive flat and we make them up as needed. On busy days we
could almost have one person doing that job.
I think they cost us about 15p each but at least we feel they're fairly
eco-friendly. One woman asked us if we would give her 'some', as her cat
likes to play with them! We said we would gladly do so but would have to
charge her for them. She seemed genuinely shocked to learn that this was
because we have to pay for them. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk