Old 13-11-2007, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default The plastic bag free town

, I, Marvo, say :

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 12:12:14 -0000, "Uncle Marvo"

, I, Marvo, say :

Do you also have a significant deposit on PEP bottles to make people
return them to supermarkets? Big business is pressuring the EU to
make charging a deposit illegal.

Is PEP a plastic bottle, like a water bottle?

Yes

I understand that we ship them to China to be burnt. I find that
disgusting for a variety of reasons. Why can't we have biodegradable
or properly recycleable ones, it must be possible?

Big business goes for the cheapest solution?

Big business is a b'stard. I buy them occasionally cos the tank water tastes
pretty horrible if it isn't boiled, but I used to be able to fill them up
with tap water. I can't now because most of them have non-removeable lids
which purport to be "for easy pouring". That is not the reason, obv.

And before anyone says that filling plastic bottles with tap water causes
cancer, look at snopes or urbanmyth :-)