Old 13-11-2007, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson Sally Thompson is offline

Default The plastic bag free town

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:24:04 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 13/11/07 09:48, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

snip

Huh! Then why is it, I ask myself, when I (rarely) shop at Tesco's, and
stand there waving my own canvas bags and saying "I've got my own bags", do
they just automatically spread out the plastic ones in my way. I have been
known to have to say this three times before they take any notice. And why,
then, when I say, patiently, "you will re-use those, won't you?" when the
bags are then shoved under the counter, do they look at me blankly as though
I come from Mars?

It's all right, you don't need to answer that - just my morning rant for the
day :-)

;-)) Feeling better? I think they've only just started this initiative -
and I hope I'm right it's Tesco because now I've got a sneaky feeling I'm
not and it's M&S. So much for my morning-paper-reading attention span.
With Tesco however, if I do an online order, which I usually do, I get
'green points' if I don't ask for things to be delivered in carrier bags
unless 'absolutely necessary'. They are the ones who decide what is
'absolutely necessary' but I do end up with very few bags. When we do have
a collection, I take them to a couple of local shops who don't have their
own and they happily re-use them. Otherwise, I have the good old wicker
shopping basket and a canvas shopper. Looking for a bicycle basket the
other day (not for me!) I came across this lovely site with irresistible
baskets on it. I have no idea why they fascinate me so much but there is
something so aesthetically pleasing about proper shopping baskets!
http://www.somersetlevels.co.uk/shop...rying-baskets/

Nice baskets, but I think I would feel seriously old with the basket on
wheelsg

We have our own green heavy-weight ones which are fantastic for shopping:
http://www.localtoludlow.org.uk/news.html (scroll down to the green ones
shown under October 2006).

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK