Old 13-11-2007, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default The plastic bag free town

On 13/11/07 12:47, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:24:04 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 13/11/07 09:48, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

snip

Huh! Then why is it, I ask myself, when I (rarely) shop at Tesco's, and
stand there waving my own canvas bags and saying "I've got my own bags", do
they just automatically spread out the plastic ones in my way. I have been
known to have to say this three times before they take any notice. And why,
then, when I say, patiently, "you will re-use those, won't you?" when the
bags are then shoved under the counter, do they look at me blankly as though
I come from Mars?

It's all right, you don't need to answer that - just my morning rant for the
day :-)

;-)) Feeling better? I think they've only just started this initiative -
and I hope I'm right it's Tesco because now I've got a sneaky feeling I'm
not and it's M&S. So much for my morning-paper-reading attention span.
With Tesco however, if I do an online order, which I usually do, I get
'green points' if I don't ask for things to be delivered in carrier bags
unless 'absolutely necessary'. They are the ones who decide what is
'absolutely necessary' but I do end up with very few bags. When we do have
a collection, I take them to a couple of local shops who don't have their
own and they happily re-use them. Otherwise, I have the good old wicker
shopping basket and a canvas shopper. Looking for a bicycle basket the
other day (not for me!) I came across this lovely site with irresistible
baskets on it. I have no idea why they fascinate me so much but there is
something so aesthetically pleasing about proper shopping baskets!
http://www.somersetlevels.co.uk/shop...rying-baskets/

Nice baskets, but I think I would feel seriously old with the basket on
wheelsg

Tempting to add a couple of bread knives to the axle, though eh? ;-)

We have our own green heavy-weight ones which are fantastic for shopping:
http://www.localtoludlow.org.uk/news.html (scroll down to the green ones
shown under October 2006).

Very good site and the bags look rather like the one I've bought from
Riverford Farm, except that theirs have wooden handles.
I'm sure our town council must be aware of the Modbury initiative but I'm
going to forward this to them, too. I've also contacted the Bio polybag co.
for quotes so I'm hoping they're not too expensive.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk