Old 13-11-2007, 12:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default Misconceptions of Gloabal warming

Whether or not global warming is a problem or not I still see no reason
not to clean up our act and stop polluting the planet. But I digress
from what I wanted to say on the topic.

In recent years the plants, fruit and crops in the UK have changed.
Previously tender plants can now survive the British winter. The British
wine industry is on the up as growing conditions have changed and our
climate becomes better suited. What I've been wondering is how the
changes in our weather will impact what can be kept in ponds and
waterways over the world. As some areas, such as here, see changes in
what we can grow in our gardens, I wonder if likewise we can expect to
see changes in the plants, fish and creatures that we can keep in our
ponds. Or indeed whether the pond season will increase and the fish will
be more active for longer. And also how this might impact indigenous
species in our rivers and lakes. And whether accidental releases of non
native species into our waterways will become even more of an issue as
the winters become warmer (on average) and I would guess therefore the
potential survival rates of non-indigenous species increase....

Just some musings

Gill