Old 13-11-2007, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default The plastic bag free town

, I, Marvo, say :

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:13:21 -0000, "Bob Hobden"

wrote:

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic
bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

In the old days, supermarkets put out their cardboard boxes for you to
put stuff in, or charged you 10p for a carrier bag. What do they do
with all the boxes nowadays?

Incidentally if it's a plastic bag free town what do people put their
rubbish in for the dustmen to collect? Putting "naked" food waste in a
wheelly bin is extremely unhygienic.

Good point. I use plastic co-op bags (which are biodegradeable), but I bet
the townspeople buy binbags.

You can still get boxes in the co-op, they stack them against the wall by
the door and you help yourself. Some supermarkets, such as my local
Waitrose, never have them available. I expect they sell them :-)