Old 13-11-2007, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default The plastic bag free town

On 13/11/07 11:32, in article , "Granity"
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:13:21 -0000, "Bob Hobden"

wrote:

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic
bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

In the old days, supermarkets put out their cardboard boxes for you to
put stuff in, or charged you 10p for a carrier bag. What do they do
with all the boxes nowadays?

I think they have to squash them flat and either take them to a tip or pay
for them to be taken away as trade waste. Last time I asked for one, I was
told that the store concerned had been told they couldn't keep them for
customers as they constitute a fire hazard.

Incidentally if it's a plastic bag free town what do people put their
rubbish in for the dustmen to collect? Putting "naked" food waste in a
wheelly bin is extremely unhygienic.

You aren't allowed to use plastic bags for food rubbish in this area anyway.
We buy special paper bags and sacks for the caddy bins that go under the
sink and the wheelie bins outside. We are only allowed to use plastic bags
- supplied by the South Hams District Council - for cardboard, newspapers,
general paper waste and another for tins and clear plastic bottles. Modbury
also comes under the SHDC. Those bags can be ordered online and are free,
the paper sacks or bags have to be bought, or you wrap your food waste in
old newspapers if you can't compost it.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk