Old 14-11-2007, 01:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default damping off debacle!!

hello,
firstly by "damping off", i have understood this to be the situation where
the stalk of the seedling withers away at the base, & then it falls over &
dies. (if this ISN'T damping off, can someone let me know what it is? ;-)

while i am used to this happening very occasionally (the odd seedling here &
there amongst unaffected seedlings), in the last few days i have lost
punnets & punnets of veg & flower babies, all at once.

i understand it's a fungal infection, & i freely admit my garden hygiene is
virtually non-existent g. i sometimes wash my punnets out, but not often.
i'm not sure if the affected punnets were washed or not of course (my
garden-organisation-capabilities are equally non-existent).

the weather has been unusually hot in the last few days, after a week of
pointless drizzle, & before that, a few days of actual proper lovely wet
weather.

have i done something wrong to have caused mass death on this scale, or is
it just bad weather or bad luck?

thank you my friends for any tips to hopefully prevent such a wipe-out in
future!!!
kylie