Old 13-11-2007, 11:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_14_] Reel McKoi[_14_] is offline

Default pond filter question

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Reel McKoi wrote:
Wont the constant back pressure kill the pump?

Probably not but I can't quite agree with Mr. Pan that a pump is a pump.
There are many kinds of pump, and some handle back pressure better than
others, but all the ones used in ponds should be OK. However, "pressure"
is equivalent to "head". So if, for instance, your pressurized filter
needed 40psi (not ever having used one, I have no idea if that's a
reasonable number), that would need a pump rated to at least a 20' head!
Figure 2psi ~= 1foot, and then add some margin.
--
derek

Thanks for that explanation. Now I understand better. :-) My pumps have
easy lives since the head is no more than 2' on any of them.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.