Old 14-11-2007, 11:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default garlic timing

George said:

We always plant garlic in the fall (Syracuse NY, zone 5.something). The
stalks start yellowing in early or mid-July, and we harvest in late July
or early August.

Why, should be just in time to transplant in some fall greens. 8^)

July is when we (often) get our best sun and warmth, and the rest of the
garden really takes off then - just when the garlic is falling over. I
wonder if we might be better to plant it in the spring, so it could
benefit from that time. A later crop would be OK, if it meant larger
heads.

I first planted garlic in the spring. Not a huge success.
I've ever after planted in the fall.

(attributed to Don Marti)