Old 14-11-2007, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Don H3 Don H3 is offline

Default Walnut Tree

On Nov 13, 12:47 am, "CWatters"
wrote:
"Don H3" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 10, 8:14 am, MrCass wrote:
Is it true if you cut down a large old tree in the garden, will it
affect the foundations of the house? Its about 35 feet away but its a
big old walnut tree

Thank you

MrCass

--
MrCass

I don't think so. If the foundation hasn't been damaged by the tree's
growth, it's non-growth is hardly going to be a problem.

Not true it depends on the soil type and a bunch of other factors. If you
build next to a big tree on clay soil then cut the tree down the soil can
heave because the tree no longer removes water from the soil. If building a
house on a site that has had mature trees removed you have to design the
foundations accordingly. It can take ten years for the ground to stabilise.

I dunno. The house I discussed (I grew up in) pre-dated the walnut
tree (on the UPhill side), but a later (closer) remodel-addition post-
dated the tree. There was also a small apple orchard another 20-30
feet uphill. (Leveled-out and replaced with a swimming pool while I
was overseas in the military.)
The ground was so sticky/clayey I sometimes had 6 inch thick clay
"soles" on the bottoms of my shoes, as a 10 year old.

But it was the DOWNhill side of the house foundation (remodel-
addition) which was breached by a *different* tree: very elderly and
somewhat decrepit, but still producing viable seed.
But even that I'm not sure of: It may have just been shoddy
brickwork instead of tree roots or ground heaving: My parents were
really good at ****ing-off workmen to the point they would stomp off
and refuse to finish a job.
Whatever.