Old 14-11-2007, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Scott Hildenbrand Scott Hildenbrand is offline

Default Bees - Scary?

Stephen Henning wrote:
wesleyn wrote:
Hi, my name is Neil, I'm a product design student in Brighton. I'm
looking into possibly doing a home beehive design, and yourselves as
gardeners have probably encountered the odd bee or two. I have a quick
question for you then, are you;

a/ completely unafraid of bees.
b/ very frightened of them - you may even be a confirmed apiphobic
(fear of bees) or cnidophobic (fear of stings).
c/ somewhere in between:
c1/ you are able to keep calm and ignore them, but wont go too
close
c2/ you'll move away / go indoors until they're gone
c3/ you'll try to get rid of them using bug spray etc.

SNIP

This is one way for farmers to stay in business in areas with colony
collapse disorder. These commercial beekeepers protect their hives from
chemicals that cause CCD. No one is saying the bees are dying, the bees
just aren't finding their way back to their hive. No dead bees are
found.

Think about that statement for a minute.. If bees are not making it back
to the hive, do you really think they're surviving somewhere without a
food source?

Furthermore, the cause of CCD has not been pinpointed yet. It could be
any number of things. Sure, it could be chemicals but it could also be
viral, bacterial, or maybe even those odd suggestions such as cell phone
towers messing with their navigation.

Now, having a traveling hive for hire to pollinate is swell, but those
bees that they are pollinating in place of aren't just wondering around
asking for directions.. I'd say they're toast.