Old 14-11-2007, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default The plastic bag free town

On 14/11/07 12:30, in article ,
"Cerumen" wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Interesting site about Modbury, the town that has banned plastic bags.
The video of a speech by Ray Anderson on the "Why and How to" page is
excellent.
http://www.plasticbagfree.com/index.php

and if anyone thinks this is OT for this ng check out the site.

I'd be more impressed if they were giving away reuseable bags.

The site says that the local Co-op gave every household in the town a
re-usable cotton bag, further re-usable bags are available at a small
charge, even the take-always use biodegradable containers made of corn
starch .....this must be the way to go.

In some ways it's the way Ireland went a few years back, they put a tax on
disposable carrier bags, the shops handed out "lifetime" bags and it works
extremely well, bag usage down by 95% or so.
Here in Barbados all the carrier bags I have seen have been stamped
biodegradeable with a web site which I see is a UK based company marked on
them.
www.degradable.net
Why is UK government so far behind?

They're on the move. There's talk now about banning plastic bags in London.
Once it hits the capital you know they're taking notice!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk