Old 14-11-2007, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Are Runner Bean Beans Edible?

In article ,
"Davy" writes:

| Now I have a question - why are not runner beans grown to produce edible
| beans? I know that the very similar red kidney beans are poisonous until
| soaked in water for many hours. Is there a problem with runner beans?

Almost certainly the same problem - and you have it dangerously wrong.

You must BOIL ripe red kidney beans (and, presumably, all Phaseolus
beans, including runners) for at least 5 minutes (preferably 10) to
destroy the toxin. It is unaffected by soaking, or slow cooking at
low temperatures. Most of the toxin is in the skin.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.