Old 15-11-2007, 12:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default water lily propagation

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:31:41 CST, sb_mag wrote:

Hello all -
I'm a new member to this group so this probably has been discussed
previously.
All my lilies are in half barrels and two of the hardy lilies have
grown into monsters - tubers growing outside a jam packed pot, etc.
What time of year is best for cutting the tubers?
I'm in Southern California, should I wait until spring, then
propagate, or cut the tubers now and repot?
Any help on taming these monsters would be greatly appreciated.
Martha

In S.California, anytime. I usually divide in spring, only because I'm
tired by fall and don't want to mess with cold water. But if I had the
energy I'd probably divide in fall after the lilies have slowed down so
they wouldn't have to be disturbed in early spring. IMHO, you can divide
anytime, but best in spring or fall when you won't slow down their strong
growth in summer. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us