Old 15-11-2007, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Scott Hildenbrand Scott Hildenbrand is offline

Default Bees - Scary?

Billy wrote:
In article ,
enigma wrote:

Stephen Henning wrote in
news
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Think about that statement for a minute.. If bees are not
making it back to the hive, do you really think they're
surviving somewhere without a food source?
Think about this a minute. They are out gathering food.
Why should they come back to a man made hive?

duh! because they are *bees* & the man made hive is where
their queen is. bees are social. they work for the hive.
worker bees just do NOT go out one morning, find a nice field
of buckwheat in bloom & say "Wow! this is cool. i'll just stay
out here forever. no more Queenie telling *me* what to do!"
no, they mark the field in their little inborn GPS & head back
to the hive to tell all the other worker bees about it.

Furthermore, the cause of CCD has not been pinpointed yet.
It could be any number of things. Sure, it could be
chemicals but it could also be viral, bacterial, or maybe
even those odd suggestions such as cell phone towers
messing with their navigation.
They have identified chemicals that make the bees loose
their sense of direction and they have found these
chemicals in the areas of the CCD.

yes, and assorted viruses & the lovely verroa mite...
while it may be convenient for the farmers to have the
travelling bee keepers come around, those travelling hives are
spreading viruses & mites & all kinds of unhealthy bee bugs.

Now, having a traveling hive for hire to pollinate is
swell, but those bees that they are pollinating in place
of aren't just wondering around asking for directions..
I'd say they're toast.
Bees existed wild for many millenia before man made his
first hive. Keeping bees in hives is relatively new in
their history. They will do just as well as Canada Geese
do when they don't fly south.

oddly, that's not true. there are very few 'wild' hives of
honeybees.
lee

Can't help thinking it is "Groundhog Day". We've had this conversation
before, back in the Spring. People must be gettin' bored.

I must have missed that conversation being new to the group..

Ah well, not much to talk about now?