Old 15-11-2007, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Jim is offline

Default Thinking about staying warm

enigma wrote:

Jim wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

It too cold here to think about much beyond the mittens
and scarves.

which keeps your hands warmer, gloves or mittens?

mittens,

I think its because the fingers can get next to one another
and share their warmth. gloves, because of their separate
finger holders won't allow finger contact so there's no
warmth sharing.

but it can be hard to actually work while wearing
mittens.

kind of like trying to type while wearing boxing gloves.

the 'best of both worlds' solutions is to have gloves
with a fold back mitten flap.

I saw a pair of those at one of the extreme outfitter stores.

i make my under gloves without
fingertips because i need to keep a grip usually g,

sounds like a competitive shooter's glove where the palm
is covered with a recoil pad and usually with rubber inserts
to enhance grip while leaving the fingers exposed for improved
trigger sensitivity. past makes a really good one.

but full
fingered gloves under mitten flaps are quite warm, being
double layered.

layers, worked for me then I got nice gloves with thinsulate.

lee