Old 15-11-2007, 11:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Bees - Scary?

Scott Hildenbrand expounded:

Not bored at all, actually..

That's good G

So they can indeed survive on their own munching on pollen and wondering
around aimlessly?

No, I didn't say that. They need the hive, they need to work. They
have designated jobs throughout their short lives. The field bees
that are out gathering are on their last job - they literally wear
their wings out bringing back stores for the hive.

Knew they did eat pollen but I'd always thought that honey was their
main food source and not just for winter stock.

Bee bread is extremely important to them. It's being discussed right
now in Bee Culture, we need fat bees going into the winter - they have
the longest life, winter bees, they raise the spring brood and need
good nutrition to last through the cold seasosn.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts