Old 15-11-2007, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Scott Hildenbrand Scott Hildenbrand is offline

Default Bees - Scary?

Ann wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand expounded:

Not bored at all, actually..

That's good G
So they can indeed survive on their own munching on pollen and wondering
around aimlessly?

No, I didn't say that. They need the hive, they need to work. They
have designated jobs throughout their short lives. The field bees
that are out gathering are on their last job - they literally wear
their wings out bringing back stores for the hive.

Ok.. That was on the lines of my whole point to begin with, that they
can't survive without the hive and are indeed dieing off.

Knew they did eat pollen but I'd always thought that honey was their
main food source and not just for winter stock.

Bee bread is extremely important to them. It's being discussed right
now in Bee Culture, we need fat bees going into the winter - they have
the longest life, winter bees, they raise the spring brood and need
good nutrition to last through the cold seasosn.

You're packed full of information on bees, do you keep them? Always
wanted to just for the fun factor more than anything.

We're going to seed the yard with clover this spring and I've got tons
of planting to do to improve the yard.. It's funny though since we live
in front of a sub devision.. They all have 'lawns'.. I like to pick the
dandelions and blow them their direction..