Old 15-11-2007, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Strimmer for grass

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
this in
, I, Marvo, say :

"adder1969" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Nov 14, 10:04 am, "Uncle Marvo"

I've got an el cheapo Flymo one, and I replaced the plastic string
with heavy duty plastic string (available anywhere) and it's a
beast.

A friend of mine said he went to a more industrial type place and
they had some carbon fibre or wire reinforced type super-duper wire
and I don't think he ever had to change it again.

Possibly Kevlar? That stuff would make great strimmer cord. Carbon
fibre is too brittle. Kevlar isn't as strong as carbon but it's much
tougher. You need special ceramic bladed sissors to cut Kevlar cloth
and even then it can be tricky. It makes the sissors twist and it
slides between the blades as if they are blunt. With a kevlar cord
you would have problems with the little blade on the strimmer used
to cut the cord to length!

One of the selling points of a strimmer is that it won't cut your
legs off by accident.

Not sure I'd like to test that though. :-)

I have done. It stings a bit.