Old 15-11-2007, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Dragon fruit

On 15/11/07 09:03, in article , "Les
Hemmings" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 14/11/07 18:28, in article
, "Les
Hemmings" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Captivated by the colour, I bought one of these the other day and we
ate it this morning. Doesn't taste of anything much but I wondered
if anyone had tried growing it from the seeds?

They romp away from seeds. Got a pot of 20 plants on the windowsill.
Must seperate them and pot them up properly...

Les

Obviously things take a bit longer to filter down to the west
country. ;-) What do you do to the seeds before sowing them? By
that, I mean do you just scoop them out of the fruit, gloop and all
and plant them, or do you rinse them in cold water to get rid of the
gloop and then plant them?

If I remember I scooped some gloop onto a teaspoon and then dotted it about
onto the compost and sieved a little compost VERY thinly over the top.

No mould or fungus just loads of very strange little seedlings. Starting out
like leaved succulents with two fleshy cotyledon leaves and then launching
into full, single stemmed cactus mode. They seem to have a long, thin stalk
preceding the large, fleshy cactus bit...

Very strange little things...

Les

Thanks, Les. Sounds a tiny bit Little Shop of Horrors. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk