Old 15-11-2007, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Bees - Scary?

Scott Hildenbrand expounded:

You're packed full of information on bees, do you keep them? Always
wanted to just for the fun factor more than anything.

Yes, we've got hives here, at my mother's a few towns over, and at our
home up in Maine. It is fun, fascinating, and the honey I get from my
gardens is fantastic - a mixture of whatever they find in the wild and
the herbs and flowers I've got all over. Haven't extracted the honey
from the hives in Maine, that's a project for this weekend.

We're going to seed the yard with clover this spring and I've got tons
of planting to do to improve the yard.. It's funny though since we live
in front of a sub devision.. They all have 'lawns'.. I like to pick the
dandelions and blow them their direction..

I've let the dandelions go wild in the backyard, they're everywhere,
but it turns out they aren't a great nectar source - they do bloom
before most everything else, so they're worth having, but just until
other blooms start. The protein in the pollen is incomplete, too. I
guess no one told the girls that, however, they seem to love the
dandies!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts