Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
veraphil

Default What's eating our gum trees?

I have the same problem. I am about to attack the problem with my three
regular caterpillar control methods:
1. Sprinkle the leaves with ordinary flour - it seems to kill most types of
caterpillar. If that doesn't work then:
2. Stir a tablespoon of molasses in a litre of water and spray the tree.
This works sometimes but washes off when it rains, which is not very often
these days. If that doesn't work then:
3. For a general bug spray, boil half a dozen rhubarb leaves in a couple of
litres of water for 15-20 mins, let cool and spray your tree - handle with
care as this is poisonous. Works short term for most bugs.
Good luck - I will let you know if this works for me.
Regards
Phil.
"arien" wrote in message
. au...
In article ,
lid says...
We have this little catepillar type beast, which is stripping the leaves
and all that is left is like a skeleton of the leaf. This bug has nearly
killed two of our young gum trees, and is close to engulfing another
larger (still young) gum tree. The garden centre suggested we spray the
trees with carbaryl, but the little blighters don't seem to mind the
stuff at all. Does anyone know what this caterpillar thing is, and what
will kill it (before they kill the trees)?

I think I've found what catepillar we have. This looks like it:

http://www.maf.govt.nz/biosecurity/p...ests/gum-leaf-
skeletoniser/response.htm

and detailed close up pics he

http://www.forestrytas.com.au/forest..._health_leafle
ts/insect_pests/pestsinfosheet4gumleafskeletoniser.pdf

Any advice on getting rid of it?

--
Mel

Please post reply to newsgroup. Reply address isn't valid.