Old 15-11-2007, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Are Runner Bean Beans Edible?

Jeff Layman writes

The first time I "cooked" kidney beans 30 years ago I just slow-cooked them,
as I didn't know any better. A night of vomiting resulted - nearly blamed
the butcher for bad mince! Since then I have always "rolling boiled" them
for at least 20 minutes without problem.

Brilliant! It's good to hear from someone who's experienced things at
first hand

It is quite interesting that the pea family provides us with some of the
most delicious and nutritious seeds, and some of the most dangerous
(Ricinus, Abrus).

Carrot and potato families are similarly mixed :-) (eg hemlock and
deadly nightshade resp.)

--
Kay