Old 15-11-2007, 03:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Stephen Henning Stephen Henning is offline

Default water lily propagation

sb_mag wrote:

All my lilies are in half barrels and two of the hardy lilies have
grown into monsters - tubers growing outside a jam packed pot, etc.
What time of year is best for cutting the tubers?
I'm in Southern California, should I wait until spring, then
propagate, or cut the tubers now and repot?

About 30 years ago I planted 4 water lilies in an old swimming pool that
was spring fed. The colored lilies had died but the white lily had
taken over then entire 15' x 45' pool. About 5 years ago we decided to
redo the pool and make a proper pond out of it. When we drained the
pool, the water lily looked like a single 2" black pipe that ran all
over the pool. It must have been at least 200' long. I broke it into
pieces 6 to 10 inches long. I threw out pieces with no nodes (eyes) and
pieces with rot (soft spots). We drained the pool when the lilies were
dormant in the fall. I placed these pieces in a closed plastic bag with
damp peat moss in a cool dark area. I wanted humidity but not moisture.
In the spring when the pond was finished and filling up with water, I
potted up a dozen of these pieces and they all became good lilies. Now
I inspect them each spring to make sure they aren't trying to break out
of the kidney shaped lily pots I use and put a 12 month fertilizer spike
in each pot.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6