Old 16-11-2007, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default A planting primer for trees and shrubs

Any photos on cull quality trees would be helpful. I will add them to the
site and give you credit, or, keep you anonymous.
here is the site
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_selecting/

The first problem and the most worldwide known problem is improper planting
of trees.

Many good people and organizations are telling everybody to plant trees,
implying that anybody can plant a tree correctly. I.e., Kings, Queens,
Teachers, Preachers, Environmentalist ..... Sad, but true, incorrect
planting, and planting the wrong tree in the wrong place have led to serious
tree problems worldwide. Low quality, cull pile, trees are leaving the
nursery on a regular basis. Yes, we should plant trees. But, first we need
to know the correct way to do it and to get that information out to the
people.

Starting with healthy trees is something most home owners who go to the
store are in the dark. These pictures I have, are trees the nursery
recommended? So please, lets help people select healthy trees to plant and
provide them with sound information on their care. I have not seen one
person on this list recommend the book MODERN ARBORICULTURE. Is that
because no body has read it or do they think its not helpful?

No one has recommend the World Wide Pruning Guide. Why? The same reasons?
I guess everybody wants to be an expert and push their treatments obtained
from who knows where.

Proper planting is an expensive job if done correctly. However, planting
cull trees may be cheaper, or you may think you got a good deal. It is
really just wasting your money. Time and money spent on selecting healthy
trees is not spent in vain if planted correctly and then maintained
correctly. Time spent selecting cull quality trees is not only a waste of
time but money. It would be wonderful if nursery's had a pamphlet on
selecting healthy trees which would be given to the customer.

See article by Ted Williams in Audubon, May, 1991

Incorrect planting procedures, and planting the wrong tree in the wrong
place have caused a multitude of tree problems worldwide. Cull quality
trees leaving the nursery. It is not only bad that money is wasted for the
purchase of the tree, but it is sad when the dignity of the tree is
destroyed as it wanes and dies standing tightly bound in place for all to
see. This has to be one of the worst injustices humankind has inflicted on
nature. Its everywhere you look.

Yes, trees should be planted. They should be planted correctly. Or if
correct planting procedures are not known, then trees should be planted
under the supervision of a tree care professional who understands how to
plant correctly, and who understands the concept of the right tree in the
right place. And, after planting, a continuing health care schedule should
be maintained. This health treatment plan can be found in MODERN
ARBORICULTURE the book.

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
I am starting a section on selecting plants from a nursery. Can you
provide some pictures of trees that should not leave the nursery. E.g.,
the ones for the cull pile.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_selecting/

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.