Old 16-11-2007, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default greengage cultivation

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I have just got my order from D T browns of the raspberries so praised by
this group a few weeks back. V. exciting! However in the parcel was a
delivery note and I find I have following an 'old Greengage' tree on pixy
stock. This was a bit of a surprise as I thought I had ordered Champagne
rhubarb! Order numbers look right so it must have been me..

Still nothing daunted and looking at it with a pragmatic approach I shall
wait in anticipation for this surprise arrival.

Has anyone got any tips for growing a fruit tree like this? How much room
do I give it and will it need another one to produce fruit. I have a
Bramley and there's Malus john Dowie but the only plums are next door and
I think they are Victoria and what the older people that sued to live
there, called Bullaces.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

I had a Greengage Tree in the garden of my house in Leicester. Sadly felled
to make way for blocks of flats.

The tree was massive. Big enough for me to climb into and eat the fruit
:-)))

25 - 30 ft high with the same spread.

Hope that helps. (No idea its variety or age, but age wise would guess 20
odd years)

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.