Old 16-11-2007, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default greengage cultivation

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:

| I had a Greengage Tree in the garden of my house in Leicester. Sadly
felled
| to make way for blocks of flats.
|
| The tree was massive. Big enough for me to climb into and eat the fruit
| :-)))
|
| 25 - 30 ft high with the same spread.
|
| Hope that helps. (No idea its variety or age, but age wise would guess
20
| odd years)

Boggle. I didn't know that they got that big - the only ones I have
seen have been quite small.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Just tried to calculate the age of the Greengage, and a Walnut which was
alongside it, and we now 'guesstimate' they were both over 30 years old.
It's a bit difficult because of the history and timetable of the land which
goes back to before the time of the Jarrow March!!! The trees 'may' have
been in then. We were there from 1967 - 1971

Mike